Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Micro-Rice

...Warning: Mix may melt plastic spoons or bowls...

Ok, just because something says it's microwaveable doesn't mean its faster to make. Or easier.
Don't follow the microwave instructions to cook Rice-a-Roni. They LIE. The package says it takes 18-21 minutes in the final step to cook it to done-ness. Totally not true. It's 6-11 minutes.
Lemme go back and start from the beginning...

I made some rice-a-roni for breakfast today.
Step 1 was to put some butter in the bowl with the rice mix, cook for a minute, then stir.
I did that.
Step 2 was to put it back in the nuker for 1-2 minutes until the rice is golden brown.
I had it in there for about a minute +20 seconds. The noodle things were a dark brown, almost burnt and when I tried to stir it again it melted my plastic utensils.
Step 3 was to let it cool for a minute.
Which I did in the Fridge since my plastic bowl was starting to melt too.
Step 4 was to cook it in the nuker for 18-21 minutes ( side note: the stove instructions say 15-20 minutes... WTF? it's longer than the stove???)
So, because I'd already figured it would be wrong, I did 5 minutes, came back, stirred it, then did another 6 minutes. I probably would have been fine with just 5 minutes instead of 6 on that last part.


So, here are my revised instructions for Rice-a-Roni Cheesy Rice Flavor:
1. In microwave safe bowl cook Rice mix with butter for 30-40 seconds till butter is mostly melted.
2. Microwave on high for 1 more minute, rice should be golden'ish.
3. Let set for 3 minutes or refrigerate for 2, bowl will be extremely hot.
4. Slowly stir in water and sauce mix, Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stir. Then microwave it for another 5-6 minutes until tender.

**Warning: Mix may melt plastic spoons or bowls, use of ceramic bowl and metal fork recommended.**





No comments: